Thursday, October 13, 2011

Our mighty van

We are moving this weekend which is one reason I haven't been posting lately, school starting up again is another but that is for another post. For now let me just say that I am now recognized in Wilco (the farm supply store) and not just me but my van as well. Yesterday we (and by we I mean I) went in and picked up four 8 foot wood posts and two 4 foot, 320 yard long rolls of fencing. As I pulled around to get the supplies loaded the guy sort of shook his head as I folded down the back seat and assured him the posts would fit. The van did noticeably settle lower as the fork lift slid the rolls of fencing into the back. It worked out and most impressively Brandon and I were actually able to get the fencing out again at the new house with only a few scratches to the bumper.
Today I was sent back to Wilco this time to get some fencing that Alex had noticed when we were looking at gates, although he wasn't really sure what it was called or the exact size, he thinks it is the perfect thing for one part of the new fence. Luckily they are very kind and patient at Wilco and it didn't take long to figure out what it was he had seen and get that along with 30 six foot metal t posts. As I was paying the bill the guy who had helped load my car yesterday came up, "your the one who got all that stuff yesterday."
"Right," I replied. "Back for more today. By the way exactly how long is the paneling I just bought (I had been looking at height and size of spaces between the wires, not the length)?"
"16 feet long," was the reply.
"I think I may have to come back and pick that up later."
At that the guy broke into laughter, "you have the van again!"
Alex was sure it would fit, "if some is sticking out just have them tie the door down, it'll be fine." Those were the instructions given last night. I don't think you can have 10 feet of wire fencing sticking out, dragging on the ground.
Saturday we all went to Wilco and picked up other supplies, including a 12 foot gate, with our little trailer. Then they chuckled at our trailer and commented that we might need a bigger one. I'm glad our adventures are already bringing joy and humor not just to us but others too. I better take some pictures...

1 comment:

Candy H. Berthrong said...

I can picture it! Hooray for the "mighty woman" who drives the "mighty van"! :-)

Your story reminds me of the time Tante and I ran off to Home Depot not fully realizing that we were literally covered from head to toe in white paint from the patio-cover project at your house. We also received many chuckles as we rounded up more large pieces of wood, paint etc to complete that project per the 'orders' of the men folk! Ah, que chistoso (how funny) and what great memories!

BRAVO to you all and happy moving!