Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor Day

I've been looking at some many food blogs lately I decided it was time for me to post one of my own. Our Labor day started with canning peaches. Our kitchen drama put us a week behind schedule, but by keeping them in the refrigerator most of the peaches were fine. Later that afternoon Alex decided to try his hand at making homemade hamburger buns. We just got a flour mill so were excited to make something with our freshly milled flour.

Don't they look great! We got the mill from Bob's Red Mill and while there also picked up a book "Artisan Breads" by Eric Kastel. This was the first thing we have tried from it and these buns made us excited to try more.

I know, I know we have committed to eating less meat (and have been doing great at having meat only once or twice a week) but what is labor Day without hamburgers. After Frederick took a few bites he declared, "This is delicious! So very delicious, how did you make it?"



Frederick was our homemade icecream maker for the day. He did a wonderful job and taste tested every step of the way with great enthusiasm.

Brandon and Travis were sent on a blackberry hunt for our dessert. We found some great cookbooks at Borders, one of which had a great looking blackberry cobbler I was excited to try.


This cobbler was wonderful. With fresh blackberries, lemon zest and a little orange juice it is definitely a repeater.


(There are only four pictured because Frederick and Ruthann had icecream then went to bed. They enjoyed their cobbler today.)

No comments: